Here is a brief overview of Team Jefferson's objectives, strategic priorities, and programming.
Mission: To retain current jobs and develop new jobs by growing our local economy
1) Set a new tone - focus on assets/ encourage collaboration / be business friendly.
2) Build credibility - manage EDC professionally, convene, facilitate, and support.
1) Energize Entrepreneurs: Innovation is the key to the new economy. 90% of rural jobs in the last two decades developed by existing businesses. Focus on assets of current core businesses and clusters. Entrepreneurship can be taught and mentored; self-employment is higher paying and locally owned business are more stable.
2) Attract and keep young emerging workforce and entrepreneurs: An aging demographic needs to focus on efforts to recruit and grow a new high-skills/high-wages workforce and young entrepreneurial families. We recognize that the skill base of the new economy is a technology-friendly generation. We need to plan now to replace an aging workforce, and ensure continued success of businesses with owners nearing retirement.
3) Develop community reinvestment strategies: Access to capital is critical. Businesses need start-up and expansion funds. We are working to capture community wealth for local reinvestment.
4) Encourage collaboration: Convene, facilitate and coach. Team Jefferson brings together diverse economic development groups, fosters community leadership programs, recognizes the need for broad-based collaboration, and encourages team work.